Carla Aviles-Jimenez Post #1

Carla Aviles-Jimenez

January 11, 2016

ENGL 317

Blog Post #1

According to the Huffington Post article, “This Is How the Internet is Rewriting Our Brains,” modern technology has evolved to encompass our personal lives “from how we buy groceries to how we find mates.”  What specifically captured my attention from this introductory statement was the connection between technology and its ability to help us “find mates.”  A direct example of this argument lies in various dating applications, one of the most popular being Tinder, and the structure of this application reflects this article’s reports on internet addiction and its promotion of jealousy.

Tinder is a dating application frequently used by the more media-attuned younger generation which directly correlates to this articles arguments on the internet’s effect on our brains.  For example, this article’s first “fact” correlates one’s addiction to the internet and technology as that of a drug addict or alcoholic.  Tinder also exhibits similar characteristics in my personal experience as I have encountered people (myself included) who spend hours swiping and messaging, and after being away from the application for a time addictively return to it frequently.  Early in its history, a Tinder user was able to swipe as many times as was desired, but recently the company has placed a limit on the number of free swipes before the user must then pay a certain amount in order to receive more swipes.  This limit thus attests to the article’s argument of one’s addiction and the hours spent using the internet or technology.  Where before a person can spend a significant amount of time on this dating application, now a person can only spend a shorter time on it unless they wish to pay the company for more time manifested in a greater number of swipes.  Tinder’s limitation on swipes also further expands the article’s notion of addiction because one may argue that someone who pays money for extra swipes is truly addicted to the application.  By paying money, the user acknowledges a reliance on Tinder and thus attests to having some sort of addiction as the article argues.

Tinder also follows another argument introduced by the article in that the application promotes jealousy among its users.  The article points to a study of “Facebook depression” in which users experience “strong feelings of envy, even sadness.”  While this phenomenon stems from a Facebook user feeling envy when looking at other people’s positive photos and posts, Tinder also promotes such emotions as a dating application.  If a Tinder user were to be unsuccessful in achieving matches or in obtaining dates from their matches while another user is highly successful, this may cause envy.  Therefore, “Facebook depression” as an effect of the internet outlined in this article also retains validity in Tinder.

Tinder thus exemplifies the internet and technology’s effect on “rewriting our brains” as this Huffington Post article argues.  This application affects our brains in causing addiction and feelings of jealousy just as the general use of the internet and the new media coming from the current age of technology.

About Carla Aviles-Jimenez

Writing and Learning Center
This entry was posted in Week 1 Blog post. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Carla Aviles-Jimenez Post #1

1. Michal Van Patten says:

I also noticed the passing reference to “finding a mate” in the Huffington Post article and I wondered why the topic was not explored more deeply in any of the three readings for this week. I have no doubt writers have dedicated millions of keystrokes to the subject of online dating, but it seems that it should have garnered a bit more attention in the articles at hand since they are all relate to how the internet has change the way people think and how it will affect cognitive development in the future.

I have thought about online dating probably more than I should and, after a stint of attempting the internet mate-finding, I have formulated some theories. I kept meeting rotten people, or perhaps perfectly normal people who conducted themselves rottenly. I began to wonder if I had completely lost the ability to gauge people; I was never great at it to begin with. I began to wonder if there was something horrendously wrong with me, but my biased family and friends assured me that was not the case. No matter who I met online, the outcome was always the same: they were terrible and I was upset. Finally, it occurred to me that all of my dates were originated on the internet. I now believe that people approach online dating differently than they do other types of meetings. When meeting someone from an online dating site, I think many daters let themselves off the hook of humanity because of the circumstances. The internet is there to be browsed when we need stimulation and it is full of scintillating and questionable content to absorb us. We have been taught not to believe everything read on the internet because sources of information can be dubious, so though some are evidently entirely engrossed in the internet we can also be dismissive of it. I think this complex view follows people to their online dates. Just because the internet introduces two people, one or both participants seem view the other as somehow less human, less feeling and not deserving of the basic respect accorded to people “in real life.” Individuals are being treated as browser windows that are opened then closed indiscriminately when the internet user gets bored. Internet dating seems to have no more care or effort put into it than that. The internet doesn’t care whether you’re using it or not, but people still do care if they’re being used and dismissed despite this being the age of internet addiction.